|An English teacher was explaining to his students the
concept of gender association in the English language.
He noted how hurricanes at one time were given only female
names, and how ships and planes were usually referred to as
One of the students raised his hand and asked, “What
gender is a computer?”
The teacher wasn’t certain.So he divided the class into
two groups: males in one, females in the other, and asked
them to decide if a computer should be masculine or
Both groups were asked to give four reasons for their
The group of women concluded that computers should be
referred to as masculine because:
1. In order to get their attention, you have to turn them
2. They have a lot of data but are still clueless.
3. They are supposed to help you solve your problems, but
half the time they are the problem.
4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that if you had
waited a little longer, you could have had a better
The men, on the other hand, decided that computers should
definitely be referred to as feminine because:
1. No one but their creator understands their internal
2. The native language they use to communicate with other
computers is incomprehensible to everyone else.
3. Even your smallest mistakes are stored in their long-term
memory for later retrieval.
4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find
yourself spending half your paycheck on accessories for